Everyone looks to get the best deal they can, but buying used motorcycles can be tricky.
Best Value Used Motorcycles
Trying to get the best value when looking for a used motorcycle? Everyone looks to get the best deal they can, but buying vehicles, especially used motorcycles, can be tricky. Determining the best value when looking at used motorcycles depends on several factors, such as your budget, preferred style and intended use. The goal is to find one that is in good condition with the options you are looking for and won’t depreciate in value too quickly. Boundless Rider is here to help with a short list of great value used motorcycles.
- Honda CB750 – These bikes were made in the 1970s and are known for their reliability and classic style. They can be found for reasonable prices and are a great choice for riders who want a vintage bike. The aftermarket for these motorcycles is huge. Customizing these motorcycles into choppers and cafe style racers are very popular.
- Suzuki SV650 – This model has been in production since 1999 and is a popular choice for beginners and experienced riders alike. It offers good performance and handling and can be found at affordable prices. The SV650 is a great naked bike with modern technology adaptations.
- Kawasaki Ninja 250R – This entry-level sport bike was in production from 1986 to 2012 and is a great option for beginners who want a reliable and affordable bike. Parts for these motorcycles are relatively cheap and easy to come by. They are super lightweight and very reliable. The later ones come with six speed transmissions.
- Yamaha FZ-07 – This naked bike offers a good balance of performance and comfort and can be found at reasonable prices on the used market. The FZ-07 is a great naked bike that is known for remarkable smoothness. These Yamahas are powerful with great brakes.
- BMW R1150GS – This adventure bike offers excellent reliability and durability, making it a great choice for long-distance touring. It can be found at affordable prices, especially if you are willing to purchase an older model. The R1150GS is sort of a gold standard for adventure motorcycles. BMW has always had modern technology and plush riding capabilities. BMW parts do tend to run more expensive than some makes.
- Suzuki DR-Z400S – This dual-sport bike is a great choice for riders who want to do some off-road riding as well as street riding. It’s reliable, easy to maintain, and can be found at reasonable prices. Being a dual-sport motorcycle this can satisfy on and off road riding with the same vehicle.
- Harley-Davidson Sportster – The Sportster is a classic cruiser that has been in production since 1957. It offers a comfortable ride and can be found at affordable prices on the used market. Sporters have been very popular for decades. The aftermarket for them is huge. Many Sportster riders customize their rides with bolt accessories or completely customize the motorcycle into choppers and racers. They are lightweight and easy to handle.
- Kawasaki KLR650 – This adventure bike is known for its versatility and durability. It’s a great choice for riders who want to do some off-road riding as well as long-distance touring. It can be found at reasonable prices on the used market. Parts are affordable and these motorcycles are great rides for many miles with proper maintenance.
- Yamaha V-Star 650 – This cruiser offers a classic look and good performance at an affordable price. It’s a great choice for riders who want a comfortable ride and easy handling. The V-Star line is a great alternative to Harleys for affordability. There is a large aftermarket to make these very easy to customize.
- Honda CBR600F4i – This sport bike was in production from 2001 to 2006 and is a popular choice for riders who want a reliable and fast bike, without breaking the bank. It can be found at reasonable prices on the used market. The CBR600 is a great sport bike that has a good size aftermarket and lots of options. It’s also really fast!
Buying a used motorcycle is a gamble if the motorcycle was not properly maintained or well cared for. It’s best to have a mechanic look over the motorcycle before purchasing a used motorcycle. Ask the owner for a test ride to make sure everything is mechanically sound. Some private sellers may not risk damage on a test ride and ask for collateral. Before taking a test ride, make sure the bike still has valid registration and insurance. Follow the market to see where the price stands on certain models. Due to popularity or rare options, some motorcycles may go up in price in a short period of time. Buy the motorcycle of your dreams and ride safely!
Boundless Rider does not endorse purchasing any make or model of a motorcycle. This is purely for informational purposes.